It’s raining outside today. It rained yesterday and it is forecast to rain for the rest of the week. Before all this rain, there were blue skies, sunshine, and the warm sun on our skin. In New England, the weather changes rapidly, and the seasons change just when you are starting to settle into one.
Such is life and HAPPINESS. If circumstances change rapidly, how then can we be HAPPY for an extended period of time? Most people strive for happiness, yet discover that once they find “happiness” it fades, is redefined, or disappears momentarily. HAPPINESS is defined as a state of well-being or contentment, an emotion felt when experiencing something pleasurable or satisfying. So then, maybe HAPPINESS is learning to accept and be content in all experiences, both positive and negative. You will be H.A.P.P.Y when you learn to Hurtle A Problem Presented Yesterday.
Here are 10 steps to finding HAPPINESS:
1. Understand that what makes you happy is different from what makes others happy. Step one is to STOP defining your happiness by someone else’s happiness or standard.
2. Happiness is an emotion, a feeling. Feelings change, emotions vacillate. It’s normal. It’s reality. Don’t beat yourself up. Move on.
3. Happiness is something you DECIDE TO BE more than something you wait to “FEEL.”
4. If you are solely waiting for someone else to make you happy, you might be waiting forever.
5. Learn to laugh. Happiness always follows a good laugh. Surrounding yourself with people that love to laugh may be a good start.
6. Learn to ignore or overlook things that aggravate or anger you, if you always give it your attention, you will likely be angry more than you will ever be happy.
7. Learn to sometimes care about people, but not carry their burdens as your own.
8. Understand and accept that not everyone wants to see you happy. Keep calm and skip-to-my-lou ON.
9. EVERY career has it’s unhappy side. Don’t get overly disappointed about it. Choose one that has less unhappy “triggers.” Don’t feel bad it you can’t get rid of them all. If you work for yourself, clients might be the problem. And Lord knows, if you work with people, you are almost guaranteed to be thrown off the HAPPY WAGON once or twice. It is OK.
10. Happiness requires a small measure of faith and hope in order to accept that TODAY may not be a happy one, but TOMORROW just might be.
Don’t worry. Be happy.